domenica 16 marzo 2008

Comparing three online newspapers

According to Task 3 I have been reading and analysing the articles about the elections in the US and in Italy published in three different online newspapers belonging to three different countries. As I have been studying English and French I decided to examine The Guardian and Le Monde and as far as the third source is concerned I chose L’Unità. As you can see the last online newspaper is Italian: I have been studying German as well but unfortunately I don’t know it well enough to read a German newspaper, otherwise I would have probably chosen Die Zeit rather than an Italian newspaper. The three newspapers presented, however, very interesting articles and I enjoyed reading them, analysing their contents and trying to compare the different points if view. Actually it was not easy to compare them: although they are all supposed to be left oriented, lots of differences emerged. I would like to start my analysis comparing the British and the French newspapers, in fact I prefer talking about the Italian L’Unità lately as it clearly differs from the previous papers for a lot of aspects.
As regards the British The Guardian and the French Le Monde I noticed that they both have a rich international section in their online versions and they both have a page totally dedicated to the American elections: in these interactive pages there articles about the protagonists of the 2008 elections and every sort of information about them and situation State by State. This week the two papers seemed to focus primarily on the “race issue” raised by Geraldine Ferraro, a leading member of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign who decided to resign after having made a racist comment on Barack Obama. According to The Guardian she stated that Obama “would not be in the in a position to claim the Democratic nomination if he was white or a woman” but Hillary immediately said that she disagreed with Ferraro’s statement and apologized for the offensive remark. The news was presented more or less in the same way by Le Monde, anyway I realized that the French newspaper gave more details about Geraldine, her role in the campaign and her past and similar comment on Jesse Jackson, while The Guardian gave little information about her personality, it ommitted to write that Mrs Ferraro absolutely did not regret what she said about Obama and specified that after all, one of Barack Obama's collaborators - Samantha Power - recently definied Hillary a "monster". Just out of curiosity, I had a look to Le Figaro as well, another important French newspaper whose editorial line is definitely conservative. Surprisingly, in the article about Geraldine Ferraro’s comments titled “Nouveau coup dur pour le camp Clinton” the reporter insists on the fact that Hillary is surrounded by a dangerous team and as a consequence the author talks about the case of Eliot Spitzer. Moreover, the journalist argues that Hillary is usually reluctant to apologize, but in this case she simply couldn’t avoid it. So, reading the two newspapers I had the impression that The Guardian is willing to be more “well-balanced” whereas, on the French side, there are often nasty comments about Clinton and her entourage.
Finally I would like to talk about L’Unità, whose online version is a little bit poor. First of all there were no articles about the US elections (or at least I couldn’t find any) and I was a little bit disappointed: as far as I know there is no “International section”. Maybe it is because this is one of the minor newspapers, but frankly I don’t know why it did not mention what was happening abroad, especially as regards the struggle between Obama and Hillary. Usually I don’t read this kind of newspapers, I prefer something like Il Corriere della Sera or La Repubblica, but I thought it was a good idea to take into consideration a paper considered highly and openly left oriented. On Thursday there was an interesting article about the leader of the Democratic Party Veltroni and his financial policy, or better, the financial policy he would like to develop if he is going to win the elections. The article was extremely well written and clear: I think that the journalist succeed in introducing the positive points of Veltroni’s campaign and his ideas to reduce taxes. Today there was another article about Belusconi and I laughed while reading what the journalist reported about his recent public speeches: I was impressed by one of his hilarious statements that in English could sound more or less like this “I definitely would do something else with soubrettes rather than insert them in our lists” .

Nessun commento: