venerdì 18 aprile 2008

Skyping with Rocio...


Yesterday for the first time I talked with one of the Dickinson's students, Rachele. Well, I though that her name was Rachele, actually it is Rocio, so I started that weird conversation saying “Hi, Rachel” and her response was “Who is Rachel?”. It was definitely embarrassing for me, but I decided to laugh at it, together with the other members of my group. The rest of the conversation was, however, quite successful and interesting as well. We exchanged some basic information about us and we found out that she is Spanish and that she went to the United States to study, in other words she’s an Erasmus student. At the beginning I was convinced that she was born in the United States and that she probably had Spanish origins but clearly I was wrong. As there were three of us, I mean three members of my group out of four, we decided that we could all talk with her creating a conference, otherwise one of use had to go home. We spoke about immigration, discrimination and the topic of our final project as we were supposed to decide together with our American peer what issue we should develop in our Wiki page.

As far as immigration is concerned, she said that American people are really open minded, probably more open minded if compared to Spanish or Italian people, and that they are prepared and willing to accept people from other countries and belonging to very different cultures. She told us that when she arrived at the Dickinson College she was afraid not to be accepted or that the other students could be not very friendly, instead she found a lot of friends and did not feel like stranger. However some problems aroused discussing this particular topic: as far as I understood, she spend all the time within the campus of the college, so she confessed not to have a precise idea about immigration in the US and she said she could talk only about immigration in Spain or about what she noticed visiting New York. Here in Italy it’s quite different: students do not live in a campus, we live in the city and we do not form a sort of community; we live just like the other citizens and with the other citizens, so as a consequence we can have a better view of the problems related to immigration. This led us to the topic for our final project: as she lives primarily in the campus together with other students, we thought it could be a good idea to analyse the difference between life in an American college and life in a European university. As far as I am concerned, I’m really happy with this topic, really enthusiastic about it. I guess that living within a community of students is quite different from living in a big city so I am really curious to see what Rocio will tell us about it and I'm looking forward to creating our Wiki page.

Nessun commento: